Hearty 30-Minute Chili
By Contributing Writer Lisa:
This is my go-to chili recipe. It’s easy, healthy, and always meets with requests to share the recipe.
I love that it incorporates some veggies, my kids love that they can top it with cheese, and my husband is happy as long as it comes with a big slice of cornbread to dip.
- 3/4-1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can pinto or kidney beans, drained & rinsed (about 2 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (about 2 cups)
- 1 can tomato sauce (about 2 cups) (I just blend up a second can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp kosher salt, basil, oregano, & chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper & cumin
- optional: shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown the ground beef over medium-high heat in the bottom of a dutch oven or stock pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chopped onions, peppers, and spices. Sauté for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and sauce. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer on medium-low for at least 15 more minutes.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
Find more easy & healthy meals in Leigh Ann’s book, 20-minute meals, and also on Lisa’s blog, This Pilgrim Life.