Mark and I don’t particular like just plain ol’ Kefir. It’s a little too tart for us. However, because of it’s amazing nutritional benefits, we have tried to incorporate this drink into our daily diets, and here are some of the ways we’ve found to do this:
Kefir Smoothies – Here is our favorite recipe!
- 1 cup Kefir
- 1 cup Raw Milk
- Several handfuls of frozen (or fresh fruit)
- 1 banana – I list this separate from fruit because we find it crucial to add – it gives the drink it’s sweet flavor and cannot be left out (in our opinion, of course).
- A handful or two of raisins – also adds sweetness
- 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
- A handful or two of spinach/kale if you want to make the smoothie a green one! If I were to make it green, I would probably eliminate the chocolate. That just seems weird to me.
Blend it all together in a blender. We use our Blendtec*, and we absolutely love it. Makes blending everything together so much easier. If you do not have a high powered blender, I would suggest blending everything above in steps. It helps to make it blend more smoothly.
Ranch Dressing -
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup Kefir
- 1/2 t dried parsley
- 1/2 t dried dill weed (I use a little less because I don’t particularly care for dill weed)
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/8 t ground pepper
I just put all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake to blend. Can use a blender if you prefer.
Another recipe I want to try is Probiotic Potato Salad. We love potato salad, and I think we would enjoy this healthy version.
That is all that I have experimented with recently, but I do know that there are lots of other ways that Kefir can be used. I will keep you posted on any other wonderful & easy ways I find to use Kefir.
In the meantime, if you’ve used or enjoy Kefir, I would love to hear from you. What ways do you enjoy Kefir? If you haven’t used it, but have heard of a way to use it, then I’d love to hear from you too! Just leave a comment.